( 3 to 4 pounds)
instant chicken bouillon granules
( for frying)
minced fresh ginger
fresh broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 red peppers or 1
green pepper, chopped
2 (4 ounce) cans
button mushrooms, drained
red pepper, cut into matchstick pieces, for garnish
- TECHNIQUE TO CUT CHICKEN CHINESE-STYLE:
- Rinse chicken.
- On heavy cutting board, set chicken breast side up.
- Cut in half lengthwise, veering slightly to one or other side of breastbone and backbone; you will have separated the chicken completely in half.
- Remove and discard backbone (optional).
- Raise each leg up slightly from breast section; cut through ball and socket joint to remove each leg. Cut through knee joint of each leg separating drumstick and thigh.
- Pull each wing away from breast, cutting through the joint next to breast.
- Cut each drumstick, thigh and breast piece crosswise into three pieces, cutting completely through bones.
- Cut each wing into two pieces.
- You should end up with 22 small serving-size pieces.
- HOISIN CHICKEN:.
- In small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, water, sherry, vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and bouillon granules; mix well. Set aside.
- Add remaining ½ cup cornstarch in large bowl. Add chicken pieces and stir to coat well.
- In large skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat to 375°F Add 1/3 of the chicken pieces, one at a time, to the hot oil; cook until no longer pink in center, about 5 minutes. Drain chicken on paper towels. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons oil from skillet. Add ginger and stir-fry 1 minute. Add onions and stir-fry for another minute. Add broccoli, red pepper and mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to skillet. Cook and stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cook and stir until chicken is thoroughly heated, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over hot Vermicelli and garnish, if desired.