noodles, elbow, penne, farfalle
( I used jack and sharp cheddar)
of applewood smoked bacon, cooked but not too crispy & broken into bite size pieces
cayenne pepper, salt & pepper to taste
3 -4 cups
crushed potato chips and seasoned bread crumbs, to cover
- Cook bacon and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Cook noodles, al dente, drain and set aside.
- For sauce: melt 3-4 tablesppons butter and whisk in equal amount of flour to form a paste.
- Add the half cup or so of pureed, or finely chopped, onion and stir for minute or so to cook the onion.
- Add the heavy cream and milk.
- Cook until smooth.
- Add the cheese, cubed or grated is fine, cook until melted and smooth.
- Season with salt, pepper, and CAYENNE to taste.
- Combine the sauce with drained noodles and stir in frozen peas.
- Pour into baking dish and top with crushed mixture of chips and panko crumbs.
- Cook for about 20 minutes at 400 and then top with a few pats of butter and continue cooking til bubbly and brown.