1/2 lb bacon or 1/2 lb
onion, peeled and uncut
- Use California pea beans, York State beans or small white navy beans.
- Soak beans overnight. Ensure water covers the beans by 4 - 5 inches. The beans will soak up the water.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 325°F
- Place the baking soda in a large pot and fill half way with water. Bring to a boil and add the beans. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and run cold water through them. Set aside.
- Cut the bacon into 1 inch lengths. Put half of the bacon on the bottom of a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish (needs lid). Add the onion. Put beans in the casserole. Put the remaining bacon on top of the beans.
- Mix the sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with 3 cups of hot water and pour over the beans. Cover the casserole with the lid and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 6 hours. Check the casserole periodically to check the amount of liquid. Add water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them moist; do not flood them.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and serve.