garlic cloves, minced
2 (15 ounce) cans
great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4 ounce) cans
green chilies, diced
1 cup chicken or 1 cup
cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic until onion is softened.
- Add one can of beans and mash roughly.
- Stir in remaining can of beans, green chilies, corn, carrots, celery, and broth.
- Bring soup to a simmer and stir in the cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Combine milk and cornstarch, stirring well.
- Stir the milk mixture into the soup, bringing it gradually to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer until veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Stir in 3/4 c of the cheese, reserving the remainder for use as garnish, and remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with cheese and cilantro.
- Note: I usually serve with some hot sauce on the table for those who like to add some heat.