( about 3/4 pound)
kosher salt, plus extra for serving
( more or less)
- Cut the tomatoes in half and gently squeeze out and discard the seeds. This step is unnecesary if using Roma or plum tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes into thick slices.
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, cumin, and salt on a plate. Dredge the tomato slices in this mixture, turning to coat both sides of each piece.
- Place a heavy skillet over medium heat for a couple minutes. When skillet is hot, add the oil, wait for about 10 seconds, then swirl to coat the pan.
- Fry the coated tomato slices in the hot oil on both sides until crisp, a minute or two on each side. Don't let them burn!
- Move the fried tomatoes to a plate and wait for 3-5 miutes before serving, as the juices inside will be very hot. Pass the kosher salt at the table and enjoy!