granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
egg, lightly beaten
unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- For topping, heat butter and syrup in an iron skillet. Add apples and cook slightly 5 minutes. Arrange in the bottom of the skillet.
- For cornbread:.
- Combine all dry ingredients and form a "well" in the center.
- Beat together wet ingredients in the well. Stir until just combined. Spread gently over the apples.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Invert on a plate.
- Serve warm with butter and syrup.