( medium to large)
turkey sausage, casings removed
( eyeball it)
green bell pepper, chopped
1 (8 ounce) packages
thyme, leaves removed
garlic cloves, minced
1 (8 1/2 ounce) packages
cornbread, cooked according to directions and crumbled
( I used Knight's vail, but mozzarella or other mild cheeses would work)
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut the stem off the acorn squash so they stand up straight. Cut the squash in half and place cut side down on oiled baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes while the stuffing cooks.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until tender.
- Add sausage to vegetables and cook through. Season to taste.
- Add vegetables and sausage to crumbled cornbread. Mix in the dried cranberries.
- Stuff each squash half with the stuffing mixture and top with cheese. Cover with foil and continue baking for about 30-40 minutes or until squash are tender.