potato, peeled and cut into rounds
onions, peeled and cut into rings
eggs, beaten with 1 tbsp water and seasoned with a little salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil
fresh herb, for garnish
- Put the potatoes and bay leaves in a pan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to the boil and add a little salt.
- Boil for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of your potato slices, add the onion for the last 5 minutes, check the potatoes are cooked and drain thoroughly. Discard the bay leaves.
- Heat 4 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat and when hot add the first couple of layers of potatoes and onions. Season with salt and pepper and continue to layer the potatoes and onions evenly in the pan, remembering to season lightly between layers.
- Turn down the heat to low and add the beaten eggs to cover the potatoes. They should find their way into every nook and cranny, as well as the bottom.
- Cook really slowly, for about 12-15 minutes or so without a lid.
- Preheat the grill to medium low, when you think it would be time to flip the tortilla over, drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top, slide under the grill and cook for 10 minutes or so until the top half is cooked through and the very top of the tortilla has browned.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a plate and garnish with the fresh herbs if using.