( any oil of your choice works(for cooking the rice)
celery heart, minced
( with leaves still on)
white onion, finely chopped
( any oil of your choice works(for sauteeing the onion)
mcintosh apples, cored and chopped
- Boil 2 cups of water in a large saucepan with a few shakes of table salt, and put the rice in it. Stir in the oil and cover, let cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until an "al dente" texture.
- While the rice is cooking, turn on another burner and sautee the chopped onion in 2 TB oil of your choice until somewhat translucent, about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the burners off to but leave the saucepan on with the rice and water. Fluff up with a wodden spoon or fork to evenly distribute the oil and you'll need the extra water too.
- In a small bowl, combine the port and parsley.
- Pour the sauteed onion, chopped celery, chopped apple, walnut bits, into the rice pan and mix.,
- Pour on the port and parsley mixture, and blend well.
- Turn the saucepan's burner back on, on medium-low heat, and cover again. Let cook another 8-10 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff with a wooden spoon or fork, and let stand for 5 minutes prior to serving or stuffing.