sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
garlic cloves, crushed
( 1 inch square piece)
mild olive oil
0.5 (14 ounce) cans
heaped tsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 pints
of mild vegetable stock
( a small bunch, leaves only, chopped)
( juice only)
( approx, to serve)
( freshly ground)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat, fry the onion for a couple of minutes then add the fennel seeds, sweet potato, garlic and ginger.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and allow to sweat for 10 minutes.
- Now add the cinnamon, lentils, chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender and the lentils broken down.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to cool slightly.
- Put half of the mixture in a blender and blend well or use a hand blender to break the soup down, but leave some chunky bits.
- When ready to serve, reheat the soup, add the chopped mint (reserving some for garnish) and once hot add the lime juice. Take off the heat and taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve in large bowls with dollops of greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of fresh mint.