ground beef, lean
onions, finely diced
1 (16 ounce) cans
pork & beans
hamburger buns, split
cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium skillet, brown the ground beef, seasoned with the salt and pepper, along with the onion over medium heat, till beef is no longer pink. Drain away fat.
- Add the beans, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce to the beef in the skillet. Stir gently to combine well.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 to 8 minutes, till slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and cool slightly, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bun halves on a baking sheet and sprinkle each with cheese, using about 1 cup.
- Divide the beef mixture between the buns and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place pan under broiler, till cheese is melted and just starting to brown - 5 minutes -- but watch closely,.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, with corn chips and a fruit or green salad.