( in a pinch use red onions)
mushroom, very finely chopped
dry white wine
parsley, finely chopped
salt & freshly ground black pepper
strong vegetable stock
( check out Recipe #397862)
- Heat oven to 375*F.
- Trim the tops from the onions, cut the roots off, but leave the root core in to hold the onion together. Peel the skins. Blanch the onions in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out the insides, using a melon ball scoop or spoon, leaving 1/3" walls. Chop the scooped insides, and saute them in 1 teaspoons of the butter.
- Melt the remaining 2 teaspoons of butter in a skillet; add the shallots. Cook over medium heat until the mushrooms have wilted, and most of the liquid has evaporated; add the wine and cook until almost dry. Remove from heat; add the chopped parsley. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Combine the mushroom mixture with the chopped onion insides, and fill into the onion shells. Place in a small buttered baking dish with the vegetable stock. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, basting once. Remove the lid halfway through to allow the onions to brown. Enjoy!