1 (4 lb)
venison leg roast
rib rub seasoning
( most any rub will do, just not too much salt)
fresh ground black pepper
- preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- rinse roast under running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- coat the roast all over with oil, using 2-3 tbls.
- sprinkle half the rub and half the pepper over the top side of the roast and press in lightly, turn roast and repeat with remaining rub and pepper.
- Note: Resist the urge to salt the roast, if you salt it you'll wind up with an unpleasantly dry roast. Add your salt at the table when you serve the roast.
- heat a large cast iron (or other oven safe ) skillet until its hot, add remaining oil to skillet. Sear roast on all sides in the hot skillet, 1-2 minutes per side.
- insert a meat thermometer into the roast and put skillet and roast in the oven.
- roast until the meat has reached 135-145 degrees, about 4 hours.
- remove skillet from oven and tent the roast with foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- slice and serve the roast.