garlic cloves, minced
1 (10 ounce) cans
black olives, sliced
2 (4 ounce) cans
green chili peppers
1 (14 ounce) cans
1 (5 1/2 ounce) cans
chipotle chiles in adobo
shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the ground beef is cooked.
- While ground beef is cooking, puree the chipotle peppers until smooth. Add a bit of water to the chipotles if necessary.
- Drain off any excess fat from the ground beef.
- Mix in the tomato paste with the ground beef. Continue cooking about 5 minutes being careful not to burn the mixture.
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, olives, green chilies, chipotle peppers, chili powder, cumin and vinegar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish. Layer in the following order. Flour tortillas, meat mixture, cheese. Repeat for one (or more) layers.
- For OMAC, freeze at this point. I use 4-1 quart casserole dishes when making this for the freezer. Let thaw overnight before baking.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.