1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/4 cups
buttermilk, well shaken
oil, for frying
- Insert a wooden stick into each hot dogs. Put 3 T flour on a plate and roll hot dogs in flour to coat, shaking off excess.
- Heat 3 inches oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot over medium high heat.
- Whisk together cornmeal, 1/2 C flour, 2 T oil, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, cayenne, and salt in a medium bowl. Add eggs 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in buttermilk.
- Transfer some of batter to a tall glass, filling it almost to the top.
- Working in batches of 2 or 3, dip hot dogs 1 at a time into glass of batter to coat. Add more batter to glass if necessary. Fry, turning occasionally until golden brown all over, about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer corn dogs to paper towels to drain. Repeat until all hot dogs are done.
- You may have leftover batter, use the batter to dip veggies such as asparagus, green beans, onions and fry for 1-2 minutes until batter is used up. Or you can open another package of hotdogs and fry 4-5 more.