cooked short-grain rice
( American, cheddar, colby or other orange colored cheese)
- Wet your hands. Take half of rice and form into a triangle shape. I have a mold which helps me do this, but it can also be done easily by hand. Put onigiri down on a board, and wet hands again. Form three more onigiri and place on board.
- Using the onigiri as a guide, cut 4 trapezoids out of the cheese slice which will be stripes around the middle of the onigiri.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and mix. If needed, strain to get the large chunks of egg white out.
- Spray your slickest nonstick pan lightly but thoroughly with cooking spray (or use oil on a paper towel) . Heat pan on medium.
- Pour egg into pan when hot. Do not stir, but swirl the egg for an even layer all over the bottom of the pan. Keeping heat to medium or lower, cook until the top is just set, then get off the heat. Let cool, then remove from pan.
- Using the onigiri as a guide, cut 4 trapezoids which will be the stripes along the bottom.
- Your onigiri should now look like candy corn! If you are worried about the decorations sliding around in transit, you can use a small dab of mayonnaise or cream cheese as "glue".