1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxes
spice cake mix
1 1/4 cups
1 (21 ounce) cans
apple pie filling
1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon
ground cinnamon, divided
1 (6 ounce) boxes
vanilla pudding mix
1 1/4 ounces
whipped dessert topping mix
1 (12 ounce) cartons
whipped topping, thawed
1/4 cup toffee pieces, almond brickle chips or 2
Heath candy bars, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, applesauce, eggs and oil; beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While that is baking, in a saucpan combine apple pie filling, butter and 1 tsp of cinnamon until butter is melted and stir until well blended.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, pudding mix, whipped topping mix and remaining cinnamon.
- Beat on high until thick; about 5 minutes then let it stand for 5 more minutes.
- Spread 1/3 of the apple mix (step#5) in a trifle bowl.
- Now, cut the cake into cubes and place half over the apple mixture in trifle.
- Top that with half of the whipped topping/pudding and sprinkle 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining topping mixture and sprinkle with bits, chips or chopped candy bar and 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.