bulk pork sausage
1 (3 ounce) cans
cut-up cooked chicken
prepared pie crusts, room temperature
- Form the sausage into 1-inch balls and in a medium skillet brown the sausage balls; remove and drain on paper towel lined plate.
- Pour fat from skillet, melt butter over low heat; stir in the flour and salt until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat; stir in broth, cream and mushrooms. Return to heat and heat to boiling, stiring constantly; boil for 1 minute.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Divide the chicken, sausage and sauce between 6 ungreased individual baking dishes or pot pie pans.
- For the pastry, unroll the pie crusts on a lightly floured board and roll to 1/8 inch thickness; cut rounds 2 inches larger than the top of the baking dishes being used.
- Top each dish with a pastry round; folding under edges and fluting. Cut slits on top of the pastry for venting; lightly cover with aluminum foil. Place the individual dishes in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. When done insert a pastry chicken into each dish and serve.
- Pastry Chicken: Re-roll any scraps of pastry to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into chicken shapes and place on ungreased baking sheet; insert wooden toothpick into middle, bottom of each chicken and bake 15 to 20 minutes.