extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lbs
white potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
kosher salt or
fresh ground pepper
vidalia onion, thinly sliced
bay leaves, torn in half
very dry sherry, such as manzanilla
minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 300°; grease a 12 x 8 inch baking dish (preferably nonstick or Pyrex) with 1/2 tablespoon oil.
- Arrange half the potatoes in a slightly overlapping layer in the bottom of the dish; then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the onion and bay leaves over the potatoes; arrange the remaining potatoes over the onion, sprinkling again with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over the potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes; turn the potatoes with a spatula; cover the dish loosely with foil and cook 20 minutes until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°; sprinkle the sherry over the potatoes; cover again loosely with foil, and bake until the sherry is absorbed and the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.