( whole milk works best for this recipe, so does using half milk and half buttermilk, but 2% milk work)
( use 1 cup low- or no-sugar apple juice with 1 cup unsweetened applesauce when cider is not in season)
nutmeg, for garnishing
- Melt the butter in saucepan on low heat, don't burn the butter!
- Mix in the flour.
- Slowly stir in the milk.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until thickened. (about 15 minutes or so).
- Add pumpkin, mix and heat thoroughly.
- Slowly add the cider and fully incorporate.
- Sprinkle with some nutmeg to serve.
- For some variation ideas, add some cubed butternut squash or pumpkin, golden delicious apples, and/or orzo. It feels a little empty having nothing but bisque.