( or margarine)
yellow onions, chopped
minced garlic cloves
crushed red pepper flakes
ground cayenne pepper
3 (15 ounce) cans
( or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin)
( or vegetable broth)
- Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over mediium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
- Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan. (I use a hand blender instead to puree the soup right in the pot).
- With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.
- Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and/or sour cream (optional).