honeycomb beef tripe
1 1/2 lbs
white onions, peeled and quartered
garlic, peeled and chopped roughly
1 1/2 tablespoons
red pepper flakes
dried chile pequins, seeds removed
2 (8 ounce) cans
diced green chilies
white onions, finely diced
cilantro, chopped coarsely
- Wash tripe thoroughly and cut into bitsize (1") pieces.
- Rinse knuckles and place in pot along with cut up tripe.
- Add water and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, add quartered onions, garlic, salt, oregano, red pepper flakes, pepper, green onions, japones, cayenne, and green chilies.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook 3 hours until tripe is almost clear and jelly-like.
- Remove the knuckles, and when cool, remove the meat, chop it & return it to pot.
- Throw out bones from the knuckles.
- Stir in hominy and cook another hour with the pot covered.
- Serve with sides of chopped onion, cilantro, and lime quarters.