1 1/2 lbs
defatted beef roast, cut in 3/4 in. chunks
salt and pepper, to taste
( about 2 cups, coarsely chopped)
garlic cloves, minced
3 (14 ounce) cans
low sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce or 1 tablespoon
low sodium soy sauce
bay leaf, broken in half
carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
( 1 1/2 cups)
red potatoes, cut into 1 ' cubes
( 3-4 cups)
1 1/2 cups
frozen butter beans
1 1/2 cups
frozen green pea
14 1/2 ounces
diced tomatoes, drained
2 1/2 tablespoons
- Dry meat chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown in olive oil, in 2 batches, remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and thyme to pot and lightly brown (Add more oil if necessary).
- Deglaze pot with red wine.
- To pot, add beef broth, hoisin or soy sauce and bay leaf.
- Cover pot and simmer about 2 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the broth and set aside.
- Add potatoes, carrots, butter beans, green beans, corn, peas and tomatoes if using.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add cornstarch to reserved broth, mix with a fork an add to pot, stirring until thickened.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.