unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees.
- In large bowl wisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In medium bowl wisk buttermilk, yogurt and egg.
- On a chilled cutting board, cut 1 stick of butter into 1/4 inch pieces using knife blade only to move pieces around while cutting.
- Add to flour mixture, toss lightly with finger tips.
- Add shortening to flour mixture, dropping a 1/2 teaspoon at a time.
- Rub butter and shortening into flour mixture, using fingertips only-so heat from hands does not melt the butter. Mix until it resembles course crumbs.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until evenly moistened.
- Turn out on floured board. Sprinkle a little flour on top.
- Fold dough in half- 5 times, shaping dough into a rectangle as you fold.
- Pat out till 1 3/4 inches thick.
- Cut 6 biscuits into 2 inch rounds.
- Gather left over pieces of dough and shape into same size biscuit.
- Place biscuits on large ungreased baking sheet. Space 2 inches apart.
- Bake 17-18 minutes, brushing with melted butter the last 2 minutes.
- Place baked biscuits under broiler 1 minute.
- Serve warm.