1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxes
devil's food cake mix
2 (16 ounce) cans
orange food coloring
( I used red and yellow per my packaging's instructions)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 26 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Beat the cake mix with the eggs, buttermilk and oil until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Tint the vanilla frosting with the orange food coloring. Line the cupcakes snugly into a large pumpkin shape on a large plate or a piece of cardboard covered in foil. Follow this pattern-one row of 4 cupcakes, one row of 5, one row of 6, another of 5, another of 4. This leaves 2 cupcakes to be placed at the pumpkin's top for a stem.
- Spread orange frosting over the cupcakes, covering them completely so they look like one big cake. Use black M&M's to outline the pumpkin, and to make the eyes, mouth and nose. Fill in the remaining area of the pumpkin with orange M&M's.