3 3/4 cups
2 1/2 teaspoons
fast rising yeast
cinnamon sugar, for dipping
- Combine all ingredients except cinnamon sugar and melted butter in the order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer.
- Start dough cycle.
- When dough cycle is finished, remove dough from machine.
- Divide into 14 pieces and shape into donuts (or pat out and use cutters).
- Place on a baking sheet and let rise 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned. and done.
- Immediately brush each doughnut with butter and dip in cinnamon sugar.
- To make without a bread machine:.
- Heat the milk to 110-115 degrees.
- Pour on top of the brown sugar and yeast, and let it sit for 5-10min.
- Add oil, egg and apple.
- Stir flour, salt and spices together and stir into yeast mixture.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down the dough, and roll it out 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into doughnut shapes.
- Transfer doughnuts to a baking sheet.
- Wait to cut out the "hole" until you have transferred the doughnut to the baking sheet.
- Bake as above.