brown sugar, packed
sifted all-purpose flour
cream of tartar
nuts, finely chopped
- Beat butter and brown sugar together until light and flutty.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in nuts.
- Separate dough into four parts.
- Roll each part into a cylinder about 1 1/4" thick.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, unwrap, and slice on a slight diagonal.
- Place about 1" apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on edges.
- Cool on wire racks.