honey, use honey at room temperature
extra 1/4 cup caster sugar
finely grated orange, rind of
icing sugar, also known as confectioners sugar and powdered sugar
( for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 200°C Brush two 12 hole madeleine moulds with melted butter and sprinkle over caster sugar.
- Stir butter and honey in a small heavy based saucepan over a low heat until melted and combined. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool until lukewarm.
- Break eggs into a medium mixing bowl and add the extra sugar and vanilla. Beat with electric beaters until the mixture is very thick and creamy. (This step could take as long as five minutes).
- Double Sift the flour and baking powder and then add it to the egg mixture. Fold in using a large metal cooking spoon. Do this step quickly and only until just combined.
- Add the cooled butter mixture and the rinds. Stir gently until well combined.
- Using a large spoon half-fill the madeleine moulds with the batter' Gentley shake the pans after filling to help settle the mixture.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until the cakes are golden and bounce back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Remove the moulds from the oven and stand for 2 to 3 minutes. WHile still warm, carefully loosen each cake with a small palette knife or table knife'.
- Lay cakes flat side down on a wire rack to cool a little more -- just a few minutes is fine.
- Serve whilst still warm and dust with icing sugar. for up to 5 minutes.
- Madeleines will keep for 3-4 days stored inan airtight container. They are suitable to freeze and should only take a few minutes to thaw.