1/2 cup egg whites or 5 large
2 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or 1/2 cup gluten-free flour or 1/2 cup
cooked pureed sweet carrot
finely grated lemon rind
1 1/2 teaspoons
sifted confectioners' sugar
- Preparation for cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a muffin tin with liners. In a large bowl combine egg whites, lemon juice or vinegar and sea salt.
- Beat whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. This will take a few minutes- about 4 or 5. When you have finished you should have doubled the volume.
- Fold the egg whites and the rest of the ingredients together so everything is just combined. Don't over mix or you will lose the volume in your egg whites. Fill muffin cups with batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Check about 15 minutes into baking to check their progress. The muffins should be golden brown, not dark.
- Remove from heat and let cool on wire rack.
- Method for Frosting:.
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Frost cupcakes and refrigerate.