garlic cloves, peeled
olive oil, divided
leeks, white and pale green parts
fennel bulb, diced
low sodium chicken broth
( or use vegetable broth)
russet potatoes, peeled and diced
fresh thyme, chopped fine
( or 1 tsp dried thyme)
salt and pepper, to taste
nonfat plain yogurt
fennel leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F while peeling garlic cloves.
- Place garlic cloves in small baking pan; add 1 tablespoons of the olive oil and stir to coat well. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden.
- In large heavy saucepan heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add leeks and fennel; saute until mixture begins to brown slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, roasted garlic, thyme and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Puree soup, in batches, in food processor or blender. Return to sauce pan and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide among 4 bowls and top each with a tablespoon of yogurt.
- Garnish with a bit of chopped fennel leaves, if desired.