spring roll wrappers
( I use the large square ones in a green pack)
brown onions, finely chopped
fresh cilantro, finely chopped
preserved lemon, skin only
ras el hanout spice mix
schwartz Season-All salt
hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- In a medium sized casserole, heat the olive oil & gently fry the onion until pale golden. Add the chicken & fry for 15-20 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add your ras el hanout & the Season All, mix well & cook for a few minutes.
- Wash the preserved lemon really well (make sure to discard the flesh), then chop it very finely & add to the casserole. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the heat, add the coriander (cilantro) & allow to cool. Mix in the chopped eggs & re-season if required.
- Once the filling is cooled completely, you are ready to assemble the bourek.
- Make your flour paste by putting the flour in a bowl & gradually adding the water until you have a very runny paste - a bit like crepe batter.
- Lay 1 spring roll sheet on your work surface & place 2 generous teaspoonfulls of the filling onto the sheet. You need to place it in a line approx 1" up from the bottom of the sheet & the line of filling should have a fraction over 1" of spring roll sheet visable on both the left & right side.
- Next bring the left side of the sheet over the filling - it will overlap the filling by about an inch. Do the same with the right side.
- Take the bottom of the sheet in both hands & pull it up so that it covers the line of filling.
- With a pastry brush or the back of a teaspoon, brush a small amount of the flour paste along the edges of the sheet.
- Now start to roll the bourek, be careful to keep it tight & even. When you have rolled it up securely, you can brush a tiny amount of the paste along the seam so that the bourek stays closed whilst it is being fried.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining 35 spring roll sheets.
- Now you can either freeze the bourek or fry them in hot oil (I like to deep fry at approx 165-170c) in batches, until a deep golden colour & very crispy!