veal chops, about 3/4 pound each
swiss cheese, grated
egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle the chops with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Chop the mushrooms finely; there should be about 1 3/4 cups.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a small skillet. Add the onion and cook until wilted. Add the mushrooms and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are fairly dry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Cook briefly, without browning. Add the milk, stirring rapidly with a whisk. When blended and smooth, stir in the cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir to blend and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Add the chops, and cook for six minutes per side, or until browned.
- Transfer the chops to a baking dish. Spread equal portions of the mushroom mixture over each chop.
- Pour off the fat from the skillet in which the chops were cooked. Add the wine and the water, and deglaze the pan. Set aside.
- Add the egg yolk to the cheese sauce and stir to blend. Spoon equal portions of the sauce over each chop.
- Place the chops in the oven and bake 15 minutes. Run the dish briefly under the broiler until it is nicely browned. Reheat the pan sauce and serve it spooned around each serving.
- Merci, Pierre.