1 1/2 cups
dried rosemary, crushed
cold salted butter, cut up
green onions, green and white parts separated, chopped
boneless lamb chops, trimmed of excess fat, diced
( to taste)
fresh ground black pepper
( to taste)
mozzarella cheese, shredded
egg, lightly beaten
- Combine all-purpose flour, rye flour, rosemary and garlic powder in a bowl and mix well.
- Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cold water one tablespoon at a time, mixing gently just until all flour is blended in and dough can be formed into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while making filling.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add white part of onions and cook, stirring, until they just begin to brown.
- Add lamb, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, pouring off excess liquid if necessary.
- Add green part of onions and cook 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add cheese and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 12 portions.
- Place 1 portion of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 6 inch circle.
- Place a spoonful of filling slightly below center of dough circle.
- Fold top of dough over to form a half-moon shape. Press edges firmly together.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place pastry pockets on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Mix egg and water and brush over tops of pastries.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Serve hot.