1 1/2 cups
( optional ~ or substitute 1 tablespoon orange zest)
whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tablespoons
vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 tablespoons
( TOASTED in a hot dry iron skillet, then chopped very fine)
( chopped very fine)
bread machine yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons
( brush on baked bread crust while hot)
- Put the first five (5) ingredients into bread machine pan.
- Mix the next nine (9) ingredients together in a large bowl. NOTE: I rough grind the pecans and cranberries in a mini-chopper because my bread machine does not have an "add beep" ~.
- Spoon combined dry ingredients, onto top of water, into bread machine pan.
- Place bread machine yeast on top of dry ingredients, in one corner of bread machine .
- Place salt in opposite corner of bread machine, on top of dry ingredients.
- Select DOUGH CYCLE if baking in your oven ~ or select whole wheat cycle and light crust, if baking in the machine. NOTE: THIS IS A MADE-UP RECIPE, AND I HAVE NOT BAKED THIS RECIPE IN THE MACHINE! For best results, bake in your oven!
- Check dough after machine has mixed for about 8-10 minutes to see if the dough looks too wet or too dry ~ add water or flour by teaspoons until the dough is the right consistency. NOTE: rye dough needs to be wetter than other doughs!
- For baking in the oven: Dump out dough onto a mat/surface sprayed with cooking spray. Flatten the dough into about a 16" x 12" rectangle ~ fold dough to fit pan length, pinching seams together, and roll tightly into loaf shape ~ spray Pyrex with cooking spray ~ fit dough into pan and slash dough 3-4 times. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let shaped dough rise again till about 1 1/2" above top of pan ~ May take an hour or more to rise ~ PLEASE ALLOW ADEQUATE TIME TO RISE PROPERLY OR YOUR BREAD WILL BE DENSE!
- Preheat oven to 350F for Pyrex ~ 375F for metal.
- Bake for 20 minutes ~ tent loaf with foil and bake an additional 20-25 minutes. For a soft crust, brush hot loaf surface all over with 2 tablespoons melted butter.