2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons
garlic cloves, minced
sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup apple cider or 1/2 cup
instant chicken bouillon granules
( about 5)
apples, cored, and sliced
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan, drain, and crumble; set aside.
- Drain off all but 2 tbsp of dripping in pan (or use butter or margarine if you prefer); add onion and garlic to drippings; cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, 2 cups water, apple cider, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil over heat.
- Meanwhile, brown bratwurst in another skillet over medium heat until browned, turning to brown all sides.
- Add to sauerkraut mixture when it comes to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add apples, and cook, covered, for 5-10 minutes more or until apples are tender.
- Stir in the bacon, and discard the bay leaf; serve.