( or other large tomatoes)
1 (16 ounce)
ball fresh mozzarella cheese
whole wheat bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
( or whole grain or white)
( homemade or storebought)
butter, unsalted, room temperature
- Preheat a panini grill machine or a heavy skillet.
- Core the tomatoes and slice tomatoes and mozzarella 1/4" thick.
- Place the bread slices on a cutting board(or work surface). Spread each slice evenly with pesto. Place a layer of mozzarella(about 2 slices) on half of the bread and cover with a layer of tomato. Sprinkle the tomato with a little kosher salt.
- Place the remaining slices of bread, pesto side down, on top. Spread the top and bottom of each sandwich with sotened butter.
- Grill the sandwiches in batches on the panini grill for 2-3 minutes, until the mozzarella starts to ooze out. If using a skillet, place a weight on top(I usually use another heavy cast iron skillet, or use a foil coverd brick, or other flat, heavy object. Cook 2-3 minutes, turn and cook other side 1-3 minutes.).
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve warm. Enjoy!
- This is also excellent with a slice of roasted red bell pepper in it!