3 (4 ounce) cans
whole green chilies, drained
shredded cheddar cheese
( 2 cups)
shredded monterey jack cheese
( 2 cups)
1 (8 ounce) cans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8-inch square casserole dish or baking pan with nonstick spray, or lightly rub with oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg whites, evaporated milk, and flour, whisking to blend.
- Place half the chiles in the casserole dish, and cover with half of the egg mixture.
- Reserving 1/2 cup of each type of cheese for topping, sprinkle the 1/2 of the remainder of the cheese over chiles.
- Layer again with the chiles, top with the remaining egg mixture, the other half of the cheese, and then cover that with the tomato sauce.
- Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes; then sprinkle the reserved cheese (1/2 cup of each) on top of the rellenos.
- Replace in the oven and continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the edges are bubbly, and the cheese is nicely melted.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes or so before slicing into servings.