( 1 to 2 lemons)
extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
chickpeas, rinsed and drained
( minced or pressed through garlic press 1/2 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon
fresh parsley leaves, minced
- Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish.
- Process remaining chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds.
- With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube.
- Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute.
- With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube and continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy (about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed).
- Transfer hummus to serving bowl and sprinkle with reserved chickpeas and cilantro over surface.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve.