finely chopped garlic
fresh lime juice
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs
boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Combine the garlic, salt and pepper in a deep bowl and mash them to a paste with the back of a spoon.
- Mix in the soy sauce, molasses and lime juice.
- Add the chicken cubes and toss until they are evenly coated.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread it tightly, 4 or 5 pieces at a time, on small skewers (preferably Oriental wooden skewers about 6 inches (15 cm) long).
- Brush the oil evenly over the chicken.
- Cook over charcoal (traditional) or under the kitchen broiler for 5 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is crisp and brown.
- Serve at once, with the meat still on the skewers, accompanied by katjang sauce presented separately in a bowl.