beef chuck boneless short ribs
dry rub seasonings, of choice
( I used Recipe #156341)
onion, rough chopped
garlic cloves, minced
celery, rough chopped
carrot, rough chopped
mushrooms, wiped clean
salt and pepper, to taste
hot beef broth
fresh herbs, like thyme, oregano, lovage, parsley, bay leaf
- Generously season the meat with the dry rub. Place in a ziplock bag and refrigerate over night.
- Seared on searing element but you can sear over Medium high direct heat. Just to brown, char, mark the meat. Remove to plate, set aside.
- In a prepared pot over direct heat. I used my trusty cast iron Dutch oven.
- Pour olive oil or fat of your choice. When hot add mushrooms carrots, onions, celery, of course garlic, and paste.
- Yes you can use any aromatic vegetables of choice. fennel would be a good choice. You can add potatoes, turnips, parsnips, or celery root for a complete meal. Stir all together.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- I then added hot beef broth bring it to a boil. Then place the ribs in the veggies nice a comfy.
- Move to indirect heat.
- Topped with herbs.
- Pour in more broth or Guinness just to come to top rim of meat to braise.
- Cover pot with lid, close grill.
- Cooking till tender about 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Transfer the ribs to a plate. At this point you can strain liquid and let sit to remove fat. My ribs were lean so I didn`t.
- Removed 1/8 cup braising liquid place into a bowl add and stir in glazing ingriednts. Adding more of the braising liquid if needed to make spreadable.
- Remove meat from pot and place on direct heat.
- Brush the mixture thinly on the ribs over medium direct heat. About 3 minutes adding more glaze then flip for 3 more minutes. Till sweet, shiny and dark.