2 -3 tablespoons
1 1/2 cups
yellow plain cornmeal
( stoneground is best)
- Wash okra and cut into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Put in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with flour. Shake it around vigorously to coat evenly, then bounce in a wire strainer to remove all excess. Final coat should be very light!
- Return to mixing bowl and add beaten egg. Stir to cover each piece of okra.
- Place cornmeal in zipper bag with salt and pepper.
- Add okra in 1 cup batches and shake until each piece is coated. Remove with something that will allow extra cornmeal to fall away. Put on a plate until all okra is coated.
- Fry in 1/2 inch lard or oil at 400 degrees or med-high until pieces are golden brown.
- Drain on brown paper or a wire rack.
- Salt additionally if desired.