CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING 3 CUPS
white wine vinegar
2 small shallots or 2 tablespoons
white onions, diced
2 tablespoons agave syrup or 2 tablespoons agave nectar or 2 tablespoons
3 chipotle peppers (in adobo) or 3
chipotle chiles in adobo
( not extra-virgin)
SHRIMP BULGUR SALAD (use 1/4 cup chipotle salad dressing)
1 cup lb 2 medium or # 3 coarse bulgur wheat or 1 cup
( 4 rings and rest chopped)
12 ounces frozen salad shrimp (thawed) or 12 ounces
cheddar cheese, shredded
red onion, diced
roasted red peppers, drained
lime, juice of
green onion, sliced
salt and pepper
( to taste)
- CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING:.
- Place the first 7 ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
- With the blender running, slowly drizzle in oil and blend until emulsified.
- Reserve until needed, in top of double boiler over simmering water.
- SHRIMP BULGUR SALAD:.
- Combine bulgur and water; let stand until bulgur is soft--about 30 minutes. Drain and marinate in Chipotle salad dressing (or French or Catalina salad dressing). Chill.
- Cut 4 rings from green peppers; cut rings in half. Set aside 8 shrimp.
- Chop remaining green pepper and add to the chopped celery. Combine remaining shrimp, chopped green pepper and celery, cooked bulgur and shredded Cheddar cheese. Toss lightly.
- Pack into 4 rice molds or 6-oz ramekins, seal with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until serving.
- AVOCADO RELISH:.
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and carefully fold together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
- FOR SERVING:.
- Unmold each SHRIMP BULGUR RICE rice mold or ramekin onto salad plate.
- Spoon 1/4 of the AVOCADO RELISH in a circle around each rice mound.
- Pour CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING as outer circle.
- Top each mound of SHRIMP BULGUR RICE with 2 half-circles of green bell pepper and 2 reserved shrimp.