cream of tartar
( or extract of your choice)
( enough to shake on top)
- Preheat oven to 250°F Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two large baking sheets.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites till foamy, then add salt and cream of tartar.
- Add sugar gradually, continuing to beat, until meringue is thick and glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Stir in vanilla or other flavoring at the end.
- Drop meringue by tablespoonfuls (a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here - I actually used a pastry dispenser with the star attachment) onto prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle each with sparkling sugar crystals.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and let the kisses cool in the unopened oven (don't peek!) for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (1 1/2 to 2 hours for meringues that are chewy in the center, rather than crisp all the way through).