yeast, about 1 package
2 1/2 cups
all-purpose flour, sifted, divided
unpacked brown sugar
dark corn syrup
orange zest, grated
1/4 cup raisins or 1/4 cup dried cherries or 1/4 cup
- Stir together milk, vegetable oil, sugar and salt in a small saucepan.
- Heat to lukewarm.
- Pour yeast over 2 tablespoons lukewarm water and let sit 5 minutes.
- Stir into milk mixture.
- Transfer warm milk to a large mixing bowl and beat in half the flour by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Let rest 10 minutes; knead well on a floured board or with an electric mixer and dough hook; let rest 10 minutes.
- Spray a large, clean bowl with cooking spray, add dough, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch round baking pan with cooking spray.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a 12 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Stir together brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest; brush over dough.
- Sprinkle with raisins.
- Roll up tightly, like a jelly roll.
- Cut into 12 pieces.
- Place buns cut-side up in baking pan.
- Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake buns until firm and nicely browned on top, 30 minutes.
- Cool completely before inverting onto a serving plate.
- No guilt!