pie crusts, unbaked
( ready made or recommened Recipe #370095)
( depending on how sweet you like it)
grated lemon peel
( or cinnamon or nutmeg)
butter, cut up in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place one of the pie crusts in bottom of 10" cast-iron skillet, spreading it gently to cover the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl or pan, blend sugar, flour, lemon peel, mace, and salt together in a bowl. Add blueberries and blend well to incorporate, mashing some of the blueberries. Add the blueberry mixture into the bottom crust, spreading evenly. Dot with butter.
- Place top crust over top of blueberries. Carefully lift away a portion of the bottom crust away from the pan and tuck top crust between pan and bottom crust. Repeat until you've gone all way around the pan to seal the crust. Cut 3-6 small slits to vent (We cut as many slices as we want from the pie, sort of like pre-slicing it that way). Bake approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and sprinkle the top with sugar and if neccesary, line the outside edge of the pie crust with aluminum foil to avoid burning the crust.
- Place back into oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until berry juice is bubbling from the slits and crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and let pie cool completely before serving.