dry adzuki beans
6 -8 cups
2 cubes vegetarian chicken-flavored bouillon or 2
vegetarian beef-flavored bouillon
crushed red pepper flakes
- Soak beans overnight in 4 cups water.
- Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot, sautee onions and garlic in oil.
- Add beans and 2-4 cups of water (enough to cover). Bring to a simmer.
- Add bouillon and bay leaf. Cook 1 hour, adding more water if necessary.
- Add taco seasoning and crushed red pepper. Cook an additional 30 minutes or until water is reduced.
- Remove bay leaf. Mash or blend about half the beans (I use an immersion blender) until the texture is similar to taco meat. Taste and stir in more seasonings if desired.