chicken, cut-up, bone-in
garlic cloves, minced
seeded jalapeno, minced
scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
shrimp, cooked and cleaned
( can cook in microwave, see note below)
smoked sausage, sliced thin
ham, diced small
salt and pepper
- Season cut-up chicken with salt and pepper to taste. (I cut breasts into smaller pieces).
- Heat olive oil; add chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add 1/4 cup water and oregano; cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in pan drippings until tender. Stir in parsley and jalapeno.
- In another pot with tight fitting lid, melt butter; add rice and turmeric; saute over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil; cover and cook over low heat 17 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; mix together.
- Arrange in layers in a 4 quart casserole the rice, chicken, shrimp, sausage and ham.
- Bake 350 degree oven about 30 minutes.
- Note: Shelled raw shrimp can be cooked in the microwave. Place shrimp in a microwavable bowl, uncovered and microwave full power for approximately 4 minutes; stirring half way inbetween just until they turn pink. Let stand for 2 minutes. Do not over cook.