boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
salt and pepper
fennel seed, crushed
fennel bulb, preparation instructions below
garlic clove, chopped
yellow onion, chopped
small red potatoes, cut into chunks
1 (411.06 g) can
fire roasted diced tomatoes
158.51 ml fat free chicken broth or 158.51 ml
halves roasted red peppers, cut into large
( 1/2 inch)
- Trim the green tops off the fennel and reserve. Halve, then quarter the fennel, cut out the core, then cut lengthways into slices.
- Prepare the chicken for cooking by seasoning with salt, pepper, paprika and crushed fennel seed.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet, add the chicken, then fry quickly until lightly opaque and browned for about 2 minutes. (Note the chicken will not be cooked through.) Add the fennel, onions and garlic, then stir briefly until the fennel has a bit of color - as much from cooking as from taking on the spices from the chicken bites.
- Add in the potatoes, diced roasted tomatoes, broth and a tomato paste, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender to the fork but not breaking apart.
- Stir in the roasted peppers and heat through.
- Roughly chop the reserved fennel fronds, about 1 tablespoon or so, then sprinkle over the ragout. Serve in shallow bowls or plates with high lips along with crusty bread for mopping up the juices.