2 1/2 teaspoons
pure vanilla extract
light-brown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/2 teaspoons
unsalted butter, melted and cooled
confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Place rack in center of oven, and preheat oven to 325°F Lightly brush a 9-by-12 1/2-inch baking pan with canola oil, dust with flour, and tap to remove excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, the granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form.
- Top batter evenly with crumb topping.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Turn the pan once during baking.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Using a serrated knife or bench scraper, cut into 3-inch squares, and serve. Note: This cake can be stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days.