extra virgin olive oil
packed chopped onions
trimmed sugar snap peas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 ounces orecchiete pasta (little ear-shaped pasta) or 8 ounces
whole milk ricotta cheese
torn fresh basil leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons
finely grated lemon peel
mrs. dash extra spicy seasoning or
mrs dash italian seasoning
fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions.
- Saute until onions are pale golden, about 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; saute onions until tender and deep golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- Transfer 3/4 cup sauteed onions to a small bowl;reserve for another dish.
- Add peas to onions in skillet.
- Saute until peas are crisp tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Add pasta and 1/2 cup cooking liquid to onion mixture; stir over medium high heat 30 seconds.
- Mix in ricotta, basil (if using), lemon peel and lots of black pepper, adding more cooking liquid to moisten as needed.
- Season with either of Mrs Dash's seasonings, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes (if using), to taste.